Friday, September 3, 2010

Vitamin D

A lot of researchers are blaming all of our current health problems on vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency is a nation-wide epidemic. Doctors are seeing cases of rickets for the first time in decades. Many attribute the rise of food allergies/autism/autoimmune disease in the last 20 years to the advice to "stay out of the sun" and "wear sunblock" that started in the 80's.

Here are some articles from pubmed on vitamin D deficiency:

Regional differences in EpiPen prescriptions in the United States: the potential role of vitamin D
The vitamin D epidemic and its health consequences
Autism and vitamin D

I am proud to say I haven't really put sunblock on my children all summer (ok, a little on the baby). I also force them outside for 20 minutes in the mid-day sun to soak up some rays. For more info visit: The Vitamin D Council.

On a positive note, HERE is a wheat, dairy, soy, egg, and nut free pop tart recipe.

3 comments:

  1. My mom's Dr. Checked her vitamin D levels and they were so low she was put on a super dose for 2 weeks. She it outside every day going on walks, gardening, or playing with grandkids, and yes she wears her sunscreen + longsleeves + hat.
    I started taking vitamin D and have noticed an improvement with my mood and I went on a bike ride today and left my arms and legs bare to the sun and I am feeling wonderful! Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...my doctor has been having me take liquid Vitamin D for pretty much my whole pregnancy. And I thought I got plenty of sun, but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete