Sunday, September 5, 2010

HFCS

I could never figure out why so many people were outraged at the use of High Fructose Corn Syrup in processed foods. I couldn't see how it was any different than sugar processed from beets or cane. Why the fuss? Well, I was naive. Read here.

After reading more about genetically modified foods and the role they might have in causing food allergies, my perspective changed. Most corn products in this country come from genetically modified corn. And now that I am dealing with my husband's corn allergy, I have noticed that HFCS really is in everything. Ketchup, BBQ sauce, salad dressing, spaghetti sauce...everything! To avoid HFCS I have to buy organic or make it from scratch. It drives me crazy.

The kicker is that HFCS can be contaminated with mercury (read Here, and Here). HFCS became the sweetener of choice for pop, etc. in the 80's. Soon after we started to see an increase in autism, food allergies, and autoimmune diseases (like diabetes). Maybe it's a coincidence. Either way, I think we'll steer clear.

Here is a table comparing the symptoms of mercury poisoning to the symptoms of autism.

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete